My newest obsession is Cooking Light magazine. It all began a couple months ago when I started spending my days off at my moms house in Milton. You see I live in a AC-less apartment in Boston while she lives in a beautifully landscaped house 15 minutes outside the city, fully equipped with a pool and volleyball net, two of my biggest summer necessities. Since as long as I can remember my summer ritual has been to spend every moment possible swimming in that pool and enjoying the summer sun in the comforts of my childhood home. My mom’s house is also where I usually go to get my trashy magazine fix, and most recently my favorite recipe’s.
Anyways, I’ve been sifting through her endless subscription of Cooking Light magazines, and recently found a delicious and equally as healthy salad: Grilled Chicken Salad with Spicy Pineapple Dressing. Although the magazine says it takes 20 minutes to make, I’d be willing to say you can do it in 10. Enjoy!
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces cubed fresh pineapple divided (4 ounces for salad, 4 for dressing)
- 3/4 cup julienne-cut peeled jicama
- 1 baby red bell pepper
- 1 baby orange bell pepper
- 1 baby yellow bell pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1. heat pan on stove over medium-high heat. Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap, and pound with mallet or rolling pin until thin. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with chili powder and salt. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray and add chicken to pan. Cook chicken for three minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Combine 4 ounces of pineapple, jicama, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Toss and divide salad amongst four plates evenly. Cut chicken into thin slices and evenly distribute over salad. Drizzle salads with homemade dressing and you’re done. It’s that easy.
- 4 ounces cubed fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced habanero pepper
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 cup evoo
1. Combine all ingredients (except for evoo) into food processor. Blend until smooth. With blender still on, gradually add evoo until blended. Voila, delicious homemade spicy pineapple dressing. (note: you can always make more and keep it in your fridge for future salads.)