I’m being healthy and cheap this week.
It’s been an expensive summer. Most fun EVER, but expensive. I finally stepped out of the Twilight Zone a few days ago and thought maybe, just mayyyybe it was time to start saving money and making up for eating nonstop.
For the past 3 days, my food intake has consisted of:
- 1 Acai Machine Naked drink, which doesn’t help with the money saving ($4, WTF?!) BUT curbs appetite until 1 pm.
- 2 Coffees
- Various homemade salads
- Turkey sandwiches with prepackaged turkey and cheddar from Trader Joe’s. Lame, but SO cheap (about $2 per).
Naturally, after 3 days of this routine I was on the verge of exploding. Reason: food-boredom. Tonight, in order to save myself from the painstaking agony of routine, I made something more interesting, while still attempting to be healthy. I actually had an inner-battle over making THIS. Thankfully, I regained control and decided to make something with the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella that were already in my fridge (mozzarella is healthy enough, right?).
*sidenote: tomatoes in summertime, NOM*
So…. Caprese? Meh, too common. Caprese with sauteed asparagus on top? Interesting, easy, healthy. Chyea.
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 package of asparagus
- 1 package of mixed green lettuce
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- crushed red pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil and garlic in a large sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add asparagus to pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper. Season with half of the lemon zest, and half of them lemon juice. Sauté until cooked but still crunchy, about 10 minutes (wider asparagus might take a little longer).
- In the meantime, toss the mozzarella and tomato with salt, pepper, (a little more crushed red pepper if you’re feeling crazy), and the other half of the lemon zest and juice, set aside.
- Place a handful of lettuce and tomato mixture on a plate, top with asparagus. Drizzle with balsamic, serve.
Makes about 4 servings.
And there you have it: The Asparagus Caprese Creation!
This turned out awesome. Many different flavors, textures and colors! Did I mention summertime tomatoes? AND LEMON! Nom.